Athens, March 19, 2012
Some 36,000 disability allowances will be cut at the end of the month, following a national investigation into fraudulent claims, the government said.
Deputy Health Minister Markos Bolaris said the government would save €111 million in false claims following a census of some 240,000 benefit recipients.
"It's come to our attention that people who were receiving benefits for blindness were actually continuing to drive. So, when you think about it: these people were going to an eye doctor for their disability exam and then another eye doctor for their driving license."
Ministry official said clusters of suspected fraud had been found, with blindness claims unusually high in Chios, Kavala, and Iraklio and other claims high in Halkida, Serres and Komotini. (athens news/gw)